POSITION: Travel and Protocol Coordinator
LOCATION: Kampala, with frequent travel within Uganda
EMPLOYMENT TIME: Full-time
EXPERIENCE: 3+ years
TRAVEL REQUIRED: Dependent on need, up to 75%
REPORTING TO: Senior Procurement Officer
Reporting to the Senior Procurement Officer, the Travel and Protocol Coordinator will work closely with the National and International leadership team and District Heads to establish processes, planning and execution on all travel and logistics coordination for site visits within partner communities. This role will be based in Kampala, with regular required travel to project sites across Uganda for planning and hosting donor trips.
The Travel and Protocol Coordinator will be someone who is passionate about community and global development and in creating meaningful experiences for donors by sharing local knowledge and implementing seamless travel experiences. This role requires someone who is exceptionally organized, detail-oriented, and creative with experience in project management, coordination and relationship management with stakeholders. This individual will require high emotional intelligence and sound judgment to successfully work and collaborate with RTV colleagues across all departments and with external stakeholders. Essential to the role is the ability to be self-motivated, balance workload, and have an innovative approach to executing priorities.
Travel Logistics and Coordination
- Plan, manage and coordinate donor and stakeholder site visits, highlighting RTV program activities and impact across the region.
- Coordinate with various departments, including but not limited to Partnerships, Implementation, Finance, and Procurement, to build out comprehensive itineraries and plan travel logistics based on donor interest in program themes and regions.
- In collaboration with the Implementation team, carry out field visits to identify sites and mobilize local teams and community partners to set up for visits prior to donor arrival.
- Accompany Senior Leaders to host and facilitate all aspects of trips with donors.
- Communicate and manage payments with external vendors to implement logistics for visa, accommodation booking, airport pickups, flight bookings and meals.
- Effectively build and manage travel budgets for various trips.
- Lead logistics for RTV staff by carrying out hotel assessments, coordinating with drivers, booking accommodations and transportation.
Safety and Risk Management
- Conduct regular risk assessments of the region, with insight reflected and updated in internal process forms.
- In close communication with Senior Leadership, plan and implement mitigation and response plans based on RTV’s safety guidelines and standard operating procedures.
- Cultivate and sustain strong relationships with internal team members, external stakeholders and donors/visitors.
- Stay informed on general programming, regional updates and local context so donor questions can be addressed effectively.
- Connect with donors in a meaningful way and provide ongoing logistical support throughout the trip to ensure they have a positive trip experience.
- Work cooperatively as part of a dynamic team as well as independently.
- Represent RTV and its work with a high degree of professionalism, passion and dedication with donors.
Systems and Reporting Support
- Learn to use donor engagement system to navigate donor information such as donor interests, key contacts and logistical details needed for trip purposes.
- Share with the Partnerships team post-travel information as needed.
- Document all aspects of pre-trip planning and write post-trip reports focused on key learnings, issues and highlights.
- Bachelor’s degree in management, community development or any relevant area.
- 3+ years of experience in event planning, travel coordination, project management, coordination or similar.
- Experience in working with various internal and external stakeholders across socio-geographical contexts and time zones.
- An excellent and polished communicator, verbally and in writing in English.
- A strategic thinker, problem solver and planner.
- Displays good judgment and quick thinking in ensuring traveller’s safety and positive travel experience at all times.
- Deep understanding of how to communicate RTV’s work and mission to various stakeholders, with the ability to tailor messaging based on areas of interest.
- Proven experience in community engagement and handling regional and international travel.
- Knowledgeable about current local, regional and global issues.
- Flexible, adaptive individual who thrives in a diverse and inclusive working environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and other project management systems is an asset.
- A valid driver’s license will be an asset.