NB: You MUST know how to ride a motorbike and have a valid riding license Class A
Title: PROJECT OFFICER- EDUCATION- PlayMatters (12 Positions)
Duty Location: West Nile (Yumbe, Obongi & Terego) & Southwestern (Isingiro and Kikuube-Kyangwali) – Uganda
Start Date: 1st November 2022
Salary Range: UGX Gross (2,400,000 – 3,694,690)
Reports to: Team Leader
Contract Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension
The Play Matters Project (2020-2026) is an education initiative funded by the LEGO Foundation. The project aims to increase play-based learning opportunities for nearly 1 million pre-primary and primary school aged refugee and host community children impacted by the humanitarian crises in East Africa and living in Tanzania, Ethiopia, and Uganda. This project aims to build children’s social, emotional, cognitive, physical, and creative skills through play in their homes, schools, and communities and will be implemented in partnership with War Child Holland, Plan International, Behavioral Insights Team and Innovations for Poverty Action
The Education Officer is overall responsible for quality implementation, day to day coordination of project activities to ensure timely support and effective execution of the activities at school and community level. The role will also assist with capacity strengthening of volunteers and coordination as well as contribute to project monitoring, capacity strengthening and training at community level. S/he will be expected to work in collaboration with other WCH sectors, consortium partners, settlement leadership and District Education Offices, implementing partners and as relevant participate in relevant multisectoral and inter-agency coordination forums and networks at settlement and subregion levels.
The Project Officer shall provide professional services of support, guidance, monitoring, inspection, evaluation, and reporting on the process of teaching and learning in schools, on the development and the implementation and integration of Learning Through Play pedagogy, resources, the necessary modes of assessment and on the administration, the assurance and auditing of quality and standards in ECD Centres and primary schools.
Objectives of the job
- Support mentorship and Coaching of Teachers in both Pre and primary schools.
- Lead on and organize peer group Learnings at schools
- Lead on and organize Peer Group Meetings at the Centre Coordinating School.
- Carry out home visits to support parents/caregivers in implementing Learning through Play (LtP) activities
- Report on activities implemented and concerns identified
- Ensure accurate data collection and reporting.
Position in the organisation and essential functional relations
The Project Officer reports to the Project Team Leader-PlayMatters.
Other essential working relations include Program Support Team, Senior Project Coordinator, Research and MEAL coordinators, Senior MEAL Officers, Project Manager and Area Coordinator with close collaboration with the other Project Officers and the facilitator.
Roles and responsibilities
- Contribute towards the organization, Project, and provision of Professional Development for Teachers.
- Participate in piloting of the PlayMatters content in the schools.
- Evaluating and ensuring the quality and standard of teaching and Learning using Learning Through Play in schools.
- Ensure active participation in Weekly/monthly/Quarterly implementation plans of project activities.
- Support in Research (collecting of information and data for documentation). Selection of enumerators and supervise them in collaboration with the Research and MEAL Coordinator, Research Assistants and System Actors.
- Timely project activity reporting and recording lessons learnt using the WCH/PlayMatters tools and forms.
- Liaises regularly with (government) institutions and other partners in the field.
- Ensures child protection and safeguarding concerns are immediately reported to the Team Leader and CSG Focal point person.
- Responsible and accountable for assigned project assets during project life span.
- Ensures that child safeguarding, and protection procedures are adhered to.
- Submits regular and timely reports to the Project Team Leader-PlayMatters on progress towards outputs as well as challenges and successes.
Any other duties as assigned by the Team Leader-PlayMatters in fulfillment of the tasks.
Qualifications and Experience
- A bachelor’s Degree in Education or a bachelor’s degree with a post graduate Diploma in Education from a recognized University/Institution.
- Must be registered as a Graduate Teacher with the Ministry of Education and Sports.
- Must have at least Two Teaching subjects or Double Main Subject.
- Minimum of six years teaching experience as a substantive Assistant Education Officer.
- Ability to write and speak English is a must.
- Experience and Knowledge in Psychosocial support Wellbeing, Content Development will be an added BUT Desired advantage.
- Good understanding of development themes such as child rights, protection, gender, Child protection
- Good understanding of dynamics in context, politics and culture of the Southwestern and West Nile region and its refugee settlements.
- Willing to live in remote areas.
- Able to ride a motorbike and in possession of a valid riding licence is a MUST and Riding Test will part of the interviews.
- • Coaching & Mentoring skills
- • Strong facilitation
- • Teamwork (team-oriented)
- • Strong social and communication skills
- • Affinity with children
- • Good observation skills
- • Willingness to work and live-in remote areas
- • Creativity
Commitment to the vision and goals of War Child Holland in Uganda, including adherence to the Child Safeguarding Policy, is essential”