Position: Assistant Planning Officer
LOCATION: Mbarara, Uganda
EMPLOYMENT TIME: Full-time
EXPERIENCE: 3+ years
Travel Required: 60%
REPORTING TO: Planning Officer
The assistant planning officer will be responsible for developing and participating in project design activities including but not limited to identification of potential partner communities, baseline data points compilation and analysis, cluster resource planning and budgeting, project – design tracking and monitoring.
- Lead programmatic designs (Projections/Budgeting/Documentation/Sign offs)
- Undertaking Research and Innovation programs/Initiatives
- Carry out needs assessment for prospective partner communities.
- Support in execution of baseline surveys such as household census, baseline household surveys, LC1 survey, water surveys and soil mapping.
- Participate in district mapping and programmatic rollouts (Internal & external), expansions and replication.
- Lead entry to new districts and regions prioritizing last mile people in Uganda
- Proactively participate in the development of quarterly planning deliverables.
- Continuously share learnings and lessons with the implementation team for improvement in project performance.
- Develop design tracking tools to guide execution of various project components.
- Participate in project design monitoring and provide follow up support.
- Participate in the revision of the project log frame matrix, particularly in the areas of performance indicators and their measurement.
- Other duties as required by your Supervisor/Team Leader and/or Management
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, Quantitative Economics, Business Computing, Mathematics, Population Studies, or related.
- Proven experience in planning and designing for projects.
- Post graduate qualification in Monitoring & Evaluation or Project planning would be an added advantage.
- In-depth knowledge of Management Information Systems, Monitoring and Evaluation and Development issues.
- Good understanding of capacity assessment and community development methodologies.
- Experience in project designs at a community development level.
- Experience in designing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis and production of reports.
- Proficient in Microsoft suite, especially Excel, VBA, Word and PPT.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills.
- Organizes workload effectively while remaining aware of changing priorities and competing deadlines
- Accurately completes multiple tasks while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, changing priorities and competing deadlines.
- Establishes, builds and maintain effective working relationships with staff to provide support.
- Strong training & facilitation skills.