About the job
Please note the application process at the end of the job description. Applications submitted directly through LinkedIn will not be reviewed.
OneWorld Health is an NGO committed to providing quality, affordable healthcare to people in need in Uganda. Our Masindi Kitara Hospital is searching for a skilled and experienced Medical Officer (Head of Medical Services) with excellent leadership and communication skills to join the professional team. The ideal candidate for this position should be a service-oriented individual who values and upholds integrity and empowerment. Ability to provide dignified care to people in need with love and humility are desirable behavioural competencies.
Job Title: Medical Officer (Head Medical Services)
Duty Station: Masindi Kitara Hospital, Masindi
Dually Reports: Medical Director and Operations Director
Supervisees: Medical Officers, Theatre, Senior Nursing Officers
The Medical Officer (head of medical services) is responsible for providing patient care to an ethnically and socially diverse patient base at Masindi Kitara Hospital. As a member of the Hospital Management Team (HMT), the Head of Medical Services will play a dual role of clinical and administrative leader by providing guidance and direction to clinical teams and medical advisory input to the HMT. The Head of Medical Services may occasionally receive delegated authority from the Medical Director to support medical operations in Masindi-based satellite facilities.
KEY RESULT AREAS
KRA 1: Provide Clinical Leadership for Patient Care and Care Management Processes and Procedures in the Hospital
- Directly conduct medical evaluations, diagnosis, and management of patients.
- Spearhead the implementation of protocols for ensuring that patients requiring advanced care are referred to a higher-level facility promptly and professionally.
- Ensure that medical teams follow the set medical care standards, protocols, and practices to ensure patients receive the highest quality of care possible.
- Develop an ongoing review process to ensure compliance with policies and regulatory requirements, liaising with department heads to ensure the organization’s quality of care standards are met facility wide.
- Implement Continuous Quality Improvement programs, measures, and monitoring, including leading and ensuring the functionality of crucial QI committees of the hospital /facility.
- Regularly review and revise medical care policies and protocols as standards of care are revised and as directed by licensing bodies.
- Ensure the development and maintenance of statistical data related to patient care and patient outcomes to improve medical practices continually.
- Conduct regular chart reviews and audits on a spot-check basis in addition to and as part of ongoing QI programs.
- Provide oversight of vaccine programs; obtain vaccines from and submit monthly audits to MOH.
- Manage all patient care professionals by providing leadership and specific direction while setting the standards of professional performance for medical and clinical support staff.
- In close consultation with the Medical Director, oversee the clinical onboarding program for new OWH staff at Masindi Kitara Hospital.
- Provide oversight /leadership for medical students and residents participating in our international medical volunteer program rotations.
- Serve as the focal technical point for the District Health Management Team and external supervisors, clinical mentors, and inspectors.
KRA 2: Support Hospital / Facility Operations and Management
- Ensure and demonstrate positive interaction with patients, visitors, and staff.
- Work with other members of the OWH- Masindi Kitara Hospital management team to support implementing new hospital operating processes and systems (including EHR) to enhance patient flow, improve hospital administration, and facilitate operating excellence.
- Actively participate in scheduled hospital management team meetings, head of departments meetings, and procurement committee meetings providing high-quality medical input and guidance in these forums.
- Ensure the efficient functioning of all hospital clinical departments and coordination of medical personnel, schedules, policies, and processes.
- Review patient grievances and recommend and implement measures to address them.
KRA 3: Coordinate Performance Management and Continuing Medical Education for the Clinical Team
- Ensure medical staff adhere to standard behavior, attendance, schedules, and dress code policies.
- Guide the clinical team, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance through senior clinical staff and heads of departments.
- Participate in the recruitment of medical staff as necessary.
- Train, mentor, coach, and supervise clinical teams.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Registered medical practitioner with a minimum of a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBChB)
- A postgraduate degree in the following fields: Obstetrics and Gynecology, Surgery, Pediatrics, and Internal Medicine is an added advantage.
- Additional training in Health Administration and Management, Public Health, Organizational Management, Human Resource Management, or any other closely related field is an added advantage.
- Experience developing and implementing standards of care, medical protocols, quality assurance standards and monitoring, and professional training and education.
- Working knowledge of state-of-the-art medical, scientific, and treatment methods. Working knowledge of current medical, educational, and psycho-social intervention procedures.
- Creative skill, ability, resourcefulness, and judgment in analyzing and solving medical, managerial, and administrative problems.
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning skills. Ability to use relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with established standards, protocols, and policies.
Application Information: Application complete with a cover letter, up-to-date CV, academic documents and valid APL should be submitted as a single document to the following email address: email@example.com not later than 15/12/2023 at midnight Uganda time. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Disclaimer: One World Health does not charge any kind of fee at any stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents.