Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 supports the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID in planning and implementing an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2010, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt will also continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified candidate for the Entomology Laboratory Technician position based at the Vector Control Division Laboratories (VCD) in Kampala.
Entomology Laboratory Technician
Working under the supervision of the Entomology Technical Manager and Laboratory Supervisor, the Entomology Laboratory Technician will support the Ministry of Health (MOH) and the Project in analyzing of malaria vector specimens to generate information on species composition and diversity, infection rates, resistance mechanisms and blood meal sources. This position may require some limited visits to the field sites for mosquito collection.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Participate in the planning processes of entomology monitoring activities and sample processing at the Vector Control Division (VCD), Ministry of Health laboratory.
- Confirm the morphological identification of Anopheles mosquitoes collected in the field.
- Conduct polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to determine Anopheles gambiae s.l. sibling species (An. gambiae s.s., An. arabiensis, An. coluzzii).
- Conduct polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to determine Anopheles funestus s.l. sibling species.
- Run assays to identify Kdr mutation in An. gambiae s.l. (homozygous or heterozygous/ L1014S or L1014F)
- Run assays to determine Acetylcholinesterase resistance (Ace-1R) among malaria specimens collected.
- Determine sporozoite rates in An. gambiae s.l. and An. funestus s.l. using ELISA to assess the possible changes in infection rates.
- Conduct blood meal analysis of fed mosquitoes to identify sources of blood meals.
- Adhere to the Standard Operational Procedures for these laboratory analyses.
- Support capacity building on mosquito identification and laboratory analysis including training of Vector Control Officers in new laboratory techniques as needed.
- Support requisition of equipment/supplies and maintain an inventory.
- Prepare reagents.
- Implement quality assurance and control measures.
- Maintain cold chain for reagents and samples.
- Ensure proper functioning and maintenance of entomology laboratory equipment.
- Participate in project/ MOH vector control operational research activities.
- Ensure proper and timely data recording and entry and work closely with the Entomology Field teams.
- Compile reports of relevant entomological studies conducted and submit to the Field Entomology Coordinator
- Perform any other duty assigned by Abt Associates Inc.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Laboratory Technology, Medical Entomology, Biology, or another relevant field is required.
- A minimum of 3 years of progressive experience performing entomological laboratory work with hands on experience on PCR and ELISA.
- Excellent computer skills, computer software programs, including MSWord, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to coordinate well with personnel within and outside the project, meet deadlines, and work with minimal supervision.
- Experience with laboratory animal rearing desirable
- Experience working in international development programs desirable.
- English language fluency.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
At Abt Associates, we are committed to creating a lasting culture of equity, diversity and inclusion and recognize that in order to achieve full participation, our practices must be free of prejudice, discrimination, and bias that result in inequitable outcomes. We are actively working to advance equity for everyone, and while we still have much work to do, we know that racial and cultural diversity are an asset to our business and the communities where we live and serve. Our ongoing commitment is focused on creating business practices that advance racial and social equity, investments in community impact programs for the benefit of Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC), and expand upon project work related to racial equity and social justice.