Position Title: Senior Information Technology (IT) Officer
Reports To: Information Technology Support Supervisor
Division : Church World Service
Department: Administration, Information Technology
Job Location: Kampala, Uganda
Grade Level: Grade 6, Specialist, National
Introduction: Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit, faith-based organization transforming communities around the globe through just and sustainable solutions to hunger, poverty, displacement and disaster. CWS does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, genetic information, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
This position is primarily responsible for assisting with the daily maintenance of the organization’s computer, network systems, helpdesk management and assisting individual staff with resolving computer software and hardware problems (staff support). The position requires flexibility, initiative and confidence in dealing with different types of systems and more importantly, different types of people.
- Achieves and maintains a thorough knowledge and adherence to established RSC Africa, CWS/IRP, DOS/PRM and USCIS policies and procedures regarding ICT systems management for RSC Africa.
- Mans the helpdesk and categorizes, prioritizes, assigns and escalates IT requests as needed.
- Responds to help desk requests within the stipulated timelines, and provides first line support and tickets resolution.
- Escalates and follows helpdesk requests to other IT staff per CWS Africa service desk SLA.
- Works with the systems and network administrators in daily systems maintenance, troubleshooting and research to provide guidance to the IT Management.
- Plans for and delivers IT training to RSC staff in collaboration with the training unit.
- Works with the IT Support Supervisor in analyzing helpdesk data to make inferences on training and technological needs.
- Conducts field processing circuit ride preparation and remote field support.
- Collaborates with and supports the Uganda Country Office staff in their tasks and various projects.
- Travels to remote locations for equipment and staff support.
- Working with the other Africa country offices IT Senior specialists on various tasks and projects.
- When needed, covers the responsibilities of the other IT Specialists.
- Any other tasks as assigned by the Supervisor or IT Management
- Five (5) years directly related specialized experience performing the essential duties is required.
- Two years’ Supervisory experience in managing and maintaining computer networks, preferably Windows based networks, is preferred.
Knowledge / Skills:
- Best interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong knowledge of using and managing IT Helpdesk systems.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and willingness to constantly renew required knowledge.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problems solving skills in a Windows based environment.
- Strong knowledge in domain management and Active directory services.
- Strong knowledge in Microsoft 365 administration.
- Strong knowledge and skills in Windows server 2016 setup and administration.
- Knowledge and working experience with administration of database systems, especially MS SQL Server.
- Strong knowledge in VMWare – virtualization technology.
- Strong knowledge in data leak, loss, and encryption methods (McAfee or any other)
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft licensing requirements.
- Strong, up-to-date knowledge in systems security in a large network environment.
- Knowledge in networking (LAN, WLAN and VPN), especially with Cisco managed devices (Firewalls, Routers, and switches)
- Knowledge of TCP/IP Architecture and OSI Model.
Bachelor’s Degree in IT related field, or four (4) additional years’ work experience in IT required in lieu of a bachelor’s degree.
Other advanced professional training in IT related field is preferred.
The IT Specialists must have the ability to:
- discuss technical information with users of diverse technical levels and discern their needs.
- facilitate and negotiate.
- communicate technical reports effectively at any level;
- communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- follow instructions from the Supervisor with a positive and receptive attitude;
- deal effectively and courteously with a large number of associates, outside agencies, refugees and members of the general public.
- conduct oneself in a professional and courteous manner to represent the best interests of RSC Africa and CWS/IRP.
- maintain a high-performance standard with attention to detail;
- carry out all of the duties of the position efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision;
- work independently and contribute to overall operations at management level;
- take initiative in the development and completion of projects;
- lead others and address issues as they arise;
- maintain strict confidentiality with RSC Africa administrative and operational information;
- manage a large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities;
- analyze and solve complex problems;
- work well as a team in a multi-cultural environment while maintaining a high level of motivation;
- effectively manage RSC Africa’s resources;
- actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Government Operational Refugee Processing Program in Africa
- Strong English communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment required.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and willingness to support CWS’ Platform on Racial Justice as a CWS employee required.
- COVID Vaccination is a requirement for all successful candidates
- The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for RSC Africa
- This position is based in Kampala, Uganda
- This position requires use of laptops at all time, competence in Microsoft office packages is required.
- This position may require travel in sub-Saharan Africa on short notice and under sometimes difficult conditions to meet demands of a dynamic operational program
- Background check which includes references and an educational and criminal check is required before the start of employment for International applicants.
- A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel.
- Physical: This position requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying heavy loads.
- Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to excessive noise, marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases, harsh weather climates, long work hours, bumpy roads, extended travel, excessive sun exposure, and non-ventilated spaces.
- Full time
- All employees should be prepared to work from the CWS office within their location of hire. Remote work arrangements may vary depending on location and the governing rulings regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.