Project Support Officer-Legal (Intellectual Property (IP)) – 1 Position(s)
Reports to: Registration Officer
Job Type: Full Time
Job Status: Active
Published Date: 1st December, 2023
Application Deadline: 14th December, 2023
Duration: 1 week
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides technical and legal advice to clients and the public on the general aspects of IP.
- Receives and processes applications for the different forms of IP and assign application numbers.
- Conduct research on various IP issues, analyze legal precedents and stay informed about changes in national and international IP laws.
- Captures data of IP applications in the Industrial Property Administration System (IPAS).
- Support registrars by reviewing and assessing IP applications, conducting prior art searches and providing relevant information for decision-making.
- Ensures compliance with requirements of the different forms of IP including payment of renewal fees and annuities.
- Process and register various intellectual property licenses as necessary.
- Coordinate with other departments, government agencies and international organizations to enhance cooperation and streamline IP processes.
- Maintain accurate and organized records of IP applications, grants and related documentation.
- Assist in administrative tasks, such as managing correspondences, scheduling appointments and organizing meetings related to intellectual property matters.
- Contribute to educational and awareness programs aimed at informing the public about IP rights, the application procedure and the importance of IP protection.
- Contribute to the implementation of policies and procedures within the office, ensuring adherence to legal standards and best practices.
- Conducts formality and substantive examination for the different forms of IP and prepare correspondences and reports in that regard.
- Provides technical and legal advice to public on the general aspects of IP.
- Ensures compliance with the registration requirements of the different forms of IP including payment of renewal fees and annuities.
- Ensures correctness of data on both the physical and electronic register.
- Participates in awareness engagements relating to the different forms of IP.
- Maintains accurate statistics relating to the different forms of IP.
- Collect non-tax revenue.
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned by the Registration officer.
The position is responsible for promoting awareness about Intellectual property (IP) and in particular the popularization of the National Intellectual Property Policy 2019 in an effective and professional manner. It requires the incumbent to work effectively with interdisciplinary teams to implement practices and procedures for IP protection. The incumbent is also required to work closely with key stakeholders in the IP value chain responsible for implementation of the various aspects of the National Intellectual Policy 2019.
Qualification and Experience
- An Honours degree in law from a recognized university.
- A graduate of a recognized University in Uganda having graduated not earlier than January 2020.
- Holder of a valid legal practicing certificate obtained no earlier than January 2021.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation relating to Intellectual property.
- Good interpersonal, analytical, and communication skills.
- Ability to liaise and network with other Government departments.
- Notable research abilities and a willingness to grow.
- A positive attitude and a growth mindset.
- Ability to work in diverse team settings.