Date: 16 Nov 2023
Location: Kampala, Sub Saharan Africa, UG
Company: British Council
The British Council builds connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and other countries through arts and culture, education and the English language. We work in two ways – directly with individuals to transform their lives, and with governments and partners to make a bigger difference for the longer term, creating benefit for millions of people all over the world. We help young people to gain the skills, confidence and connections they are looking for to realise their potential and to participate in strong and inclusive communities. We support them to learn English, to get a high-quality education and to gain internationally recognised qualifications. Our work in arts and culture stimulates creative expression and exchange and nurtures creative enterprise. We connect the best of the UK with the world and the best of the world with the UK. These connections lead to an understanding of each other’s strengths and of the challenges and values that we share. This builds trust between people in the UK and other nations which endures even when official relations may be strained. We work on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2019-20 we connected with 80 million people directly and with 791 million overall, including online and through our broadcasts and publications.
Programme Manager – Commonwealth Scholarships
- To plan and deliver alumni activity for the Commonwealth Scholarship programme by the global alumni engagement plan for this contract.
- To plan and deliver face-to-face and digital alumni activity in the country of posting and several additional countries.
- To monitor activity that is delivered and to report regularly.
Main accountabilities but not limited to the following:
- Implements a range of standardised, operational procedures and systems within a given work plan to achieve specified, clearly measurable targets (revenue, volume, time and/or cost)
- Receives instructions and requests from senior managers and/or customers (internal or external), and plans and organises given resources accordingly (often at short notice) to ensure that work is carried out efficiently and effectively
- Provides timely feedback on operational issues and events to more senior managers, enabling the adaptation of work plans where necessary and supporting continuous improvement in the efficiency/cost-effectiveness/quality of service delivery/systems in the unit or department
- Uses a range of standardised systems and processes to plan and coordinate effective, timely and cost-effective logistical support to enable the delivery of high-quality services to a range of customers (internal and external)
Relationship & stakeholder management
- Develops good working relationships with appropriate colleagues throughout the BC to facilitate effective and efficient service delivery.
- As required, supports senior colleagues in hosting/attending external events or meetings, ensuring these run efficiently and effectively and that a positive, professional image of the BC is projected.
Risk & compliance
- Follows agreed corporate risk management processes and procedures when delivering services (e.g. child protection, security policies, financial protocols, anti-fraud measures) to protect the interests of the BC and its customers at all times.
Analysis & reporting
- Using standard procedures and templates, regularly records, analyses and reports on operational activity levels and performance data, to support senior managers in making timely and effective business decisions that respond to operational needs.
Role-specific knowledge and experience:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent qualification/experience
- Basic knowledge of the UK higher education sector for postgraduate study, including an understanding of pathways to the UK for international student recruitment.
- Post-graduate qualification
- Understanding of scholarship programmes
- Remuneration: UGX 6,626,556.00
- Contract Type – 6 Months Fixed Term Contract
- Location – Kampala, Uganda
- Department/Function – Education
- Additional information
- Language requirements: Strong written and oral English communication skills.
- The Role holder must have existing rights to live and work in the country the role is based.
- Closing Date – 30 November 2023. Applications will close at 23:59 East Africa Time
A connected and trusted UK in a more connected and trusted world.
Equality , Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Statement
The British Council is committed to policies and practices of equality, diversity and inclusion across everything we do. We support all staff to make sure their behaviour is consistent with this commitment. We want to address under representation and encourage applicants from under-represented groups, in particular, but not exclusively, on grounds of ethnicity and disability. All disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria are guaranteed an interview and we have Disability Confident Employer Status. We welcome discussions about specific requirements or adjustments to enable participation and engagement in our work and activities.
The British Council is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults who we work with.
We believe that all children and adults everywhere in the world deserve to live in safe environments and have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse, maltreatment and exploitation as set out in article 19, UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) 1989.
Appointment to positions where there is direct involvement with vulnerable groups will be dependent on thorough checks being completed; these will include qualification checks, reference checks, identity & criminal record checks in line with legal requirements and with the British Council’s Safeguarding policies for Adults and Children.
If you have any problems with your application please email email@example.com
Please note: Applications to this role can only be considered when made through the Apply section of our careers website. Our ‘ASK HR’ email is only to be used in case of a technical issue encountered when applying through the careers website. Emails with supporting statements and CV/Resumes sent to this email address will not be reviewed and will be deleted.