Solidarity Uganda is a collective of trainers and consultants who teach and consult on civil resistance and social change. Our goal is to build a culture of resistance against oppression for a new Uganda. We focus on inspiration, education, and action. Without inspiration, oppressed people may remain idle. Without education, they may use ineffective means of change (like violence) or fail to capitalize on their people power potential and without action, nothing will change.
We are recruiting a Media and Communications officer to support our work across the country. The recruited staff will be part of the Communications team that supports chapters with campaigns and messaging.
Job Title: Media and Communications officer
Duty Station: Kampala
Reports to: Head of media and communications
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in content creation and management of the organization’s digital platforms which include the social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, and other social media accounts.
- Taking and editing photos and videos to boost the organization’s visibility.
- Support in organizing press conferences and media engagements
- Assisting movements and campaigns with messaging.
- Support the preparation of presentations and internal memos and conduct meetings to share information.
- Assist in the development, design, and distribution of materials that may explain or convey the company’s policies or position on issues. These include photos, videos, fliers, and brochures.
- Blogging and publishing content on the organization’s website
- Writing, editing, and publishing reports, newsletters, communiqués, and other documents
- Support in writing and editing the annual report
- Assist in liaising with chapters across all Solidarity Uganda membership to promote active communication and flow of information.
- Provide monthly and other reports as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or a related field.
Minimum of 2-3 years’ considerable experience with communications and advocacy work, community organizing for social justice, and change.
Knowledge of desktop publishing software (InDesign/Photoshop etc).
Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills.
Good time management and organizational skills.
Proficient in Microsoft Office, content management systems, and social media platforms.
Excellent analytical, presentation, communication and reporting skills.
Demonstrated creativity, ability to apply innovative thinking and fast problem-solving skills
Ability to deal with pressure and emergencies.
Excellent verbal and written English skills
Discipline and self-motivation
Ability to work under limited supervision.
Three months of paid probationary period, with the contract, further negotiated thereafter.
Deadline 9th December 2022
We prefer electronic applications. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We encourage women, people with disabilities, and minority groups to apply for this position. Solidarity Uganda is committed to equal opportunities and diversity of perspective in the workplace.