- Announcement Number:
- Hiring Agency:
- Embassy Kampala
- Position Title:
- Maintenance Mechanic – Generator
- Open Period:
- 01/18/2023 – 01/31/2023Format MM/DD/YYYY
- Vacancy Time Zone:
- LE – 1210 6
- Not Specified
- Work Schedule:
- Full-time –
- Promotion Potential:
- Duty Location(s):
- 1 Vacancy in
- Telework Eligible:
- For More Info:
- Hiring Path:
- • Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 8. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
• All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required:
- Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type
- Appointment Type Details:
- Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement:
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time (40 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (4 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position:
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
The incumbent reports to the Building Engineer Supervisor. The incumbent is employed as the Maintenance Mechanic – Generator to carry out skilled maintenance and repair work on prime and stand-by emergency generators for the Chancery/GSO Warehouse compounds) and residential owned/leased properties. Responds to scheduled, unscheduled and preventive maintenance work orders generated by the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS).
Qualifications and Evaluations
A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in the operation, maintenance, and repair of prime or standby power generators for large commercial properties such as high-rise office buildings, a hospital or college campus, or for the local utility company is required. One year of which should be in the operations, maintenance, and repair of 1000 KVA or larger generators.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Knowledge of the internal working of a combustion engine, torque values at various RPMs, and methods and standards for routine maintenance on combustion engines is required. Must have a very good technical understanding on how diesel engines are sized for generators in order to obtain optimum performance from both pieces of the packaged unit. Must know how to adjust valves, change filters and belts, adjust speed to achieve hertz levels (50 or 60 Hz), and make minor repairs. Must know how to research information on the internet in order to get up to date information from the generator manufacturer. Knowledge of fire and life safety codes and standards is required.
- Education Requirements:
- Completion of Secondary School.
Completion of training program from an accredited institute recognized as producing power generation diesel engine mechanics is required.
- Post may choose to add the phrase “This may be tested” after a language, skill, and/or ability. Review the VA template for specific information.
English level III (Limited Knowledge) Written/Speaking/Reading is required in order to understand verbal requests, read some technical material, and prepare simple reports.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Must have the skills and abilities in the following areas: diagnosing and repairing diesel engines, large, packaged generator and alternator units; testing electrical components and taking equipment readings with various meters, hand, power, and specialty tools to determine appropriate repairs. Lifting and carrying tools, equipment, or parts, maximum weight 25 kilos. Additional skills include installation of emergency standby generator systems; installation of plumbing lines required for the transmission and distribution of diesel fuel; distinguishing frequencies and sounds, color codes and odors in the operation of equipment in order to troubleshoot for repairs. Additional abilities include responding to emergency situations in an efficient and timely manner to effect immediate repairs; work in various adverse conditions such as tight or enclosed spaces, on ladders at various heights, and in temperature extremes, indoors or outdoors to complete work assignments; communicate orally and in writing with co-workers, contractors and vendors to obtain and provide pertinent information. Must have good computer skills, and able to write e-mails and research information on the Internet. A valid driver’s license is required. Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks. Must be organized, with a keen aptitude to work independently, impeccable integrity, strong initiative, and good judgment and to maintain confidentiality.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Agency Benefits:
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in (insert post and/or country name) may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Other Information:
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
1. AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
2. AEFM / USEFM
3. FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active-duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
- How to Apply:
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
To apply for this position, click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- Required Documents:
- To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
• A Level Certificate
• Driver’s License
• Certificate or License
- Trades Certificate
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
• Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
• Passport copy
• DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
• SF-50 (if applicable)
- Next Steps:
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in (insert post and/or country name).