Human Resource OFFICER
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
|Annual Salary and Benefits –||As per Oxfam’s provisions|
|Internal Job Grade –||D1|
|Contract type –||Fixed Term|
|Reporting to –||HRA Coordinator|
|Staff reporting to this post||
|Annual Budget –||As per Oxfam’s provisions|
Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty.
To provide field HR support and implement the full range of Human Resource Services necessary for the effective people management at field level. To ensure Human Resource Management contributes to and is aligned to the Country’s Strategic Framework goals.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Support the recruitment process of staff. This includes placing adverts, facilitating the work of the panel in the short listing and interviewing process; administering the tests; taking part in the interviews; obtaining results of pre-employment medicals.
- Responsible for ensuring that all field staff are issued with contracts, renewing/revising contracts and ensuring that this is in line with the legal framework for employment in Uganda.
- Monitor dates relating to probationary periods, Performance Management, and end of contracts; balances of Annual leave and sickness absence etc.- for all staff.
- Co-ordinate and interpret the application and/or implementation of all the relevant HR guidelines, policies and procedures and ensure they are applied uniformly
- Coordinate with the Finance in preparing, management and maintenance of the national staff monthly payroll, share payslips to all staff and prepare the respective salary allocations on a monthly basis.
- Coordinator with the different project budget holders to do monthly salary allocations to the different project before they are posted to pastel by Finance. This will require you to review the different project MOUs/OPA to confirm the different percentage allocations for the different positions.
- Train, orient, induct and support all staff managing HR responsibilities (Admin Assistants), so that they can maintain all HR related records including timesheets and submit reports by the 5th of the following month.
- Charged with maintaining the national organogram up-to date, including all the changes with in the months and showing the vacancies.
- Ensure that all employees are covered under GPA insurance, and process the payments for any additions to the cover and follow up on the credit notes for the deletions. Including travel insurance.
- Lead on the application of HR policies and business processes for the field offices, in line with the Oxfam polices, so that they meet both the needs of the organisation and its legal obligations.
- Monitor and advise Country HR manager on trending HR procedures, and employment laws in order to continuously review and make recommendations for improving the field HR function and systems that support the field Programmes.
- Liaising with peer agency HR networks as well as Oxfam HR teams to share knowledge and practices that add value to the HR function and ways to strengthen team management processes and adherence to the new Oxfam behavioural competencies
- Submit timely and accurate reports to the Line manager to ensure accuracy before sending to Hague. Including current staff list, joiners & leavers.
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- Candidate should hold a degree in Human Resources management or Organisational psychology. A masters’ degree in Human resource Management/ organizational psychology is an added advantage.
- 3-4 years’ experience in general HR practice and middle management in an international NGO. Ability to work independently, innovative, proactive and with high level of integrity and confidentiality.
- Substantial knowledge and experience of Human Resource Management in all its aspects, a professional qualification in Human Resources Management will be added advantage.
- Substantial knowledge of th concepts of national employment law;
- Able to provide to deliver effective day-to-day HR services to the field offices
- Substantial experience in an administrative HR role especially in an emergency response environment.
- Good written and verbal communication and advisory skills, accurate, just, analytical.
- Convincing and influencing skills. Ready to do field travels as and when it is required.
Key Behavioural Competencies (based on Oxfam’s Leadership Model
|Decisiveness||We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision making modes to the context and needs.|
|Listening||We are good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear and consider different preferences.|
|Mutual Accountability||We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.|
|We all work to effectively empower and enable others to deliver the organizations goals through creating conditions of success. We passionately invest in others by developing their careers, not only their skills for the job. We provide freedom; demonstrate belief and trust provide appropriate support.|