BACKGROUND: The Private Sector Foundation Uganda (PSFU) Uganda’s apex body
for the private sector is collaborating with the Mastercard Foundation (MCF) to coimplement Young Africa Works in Uganda – Enhancing Lead Firm Structure for Youth Employment Program.
The Intervention’s ultimate goal is to create dignified and fulfilling work for young women and men and contribute to the effort to lifting Ugandans out of poverty.
The intervention focuses on creating, maintaining and sustaining growth in job markets through strengthening the capacity of actors to efficiently produce and sell their goods and services in expanded markets, developing new diversified financing mechanisms as well as growing the capacity of business leaders and their support service providers to manage and expand their enterprises. This transformative intervention will also transition Micro Enterprises into Small Enterprises.
PSFU wishes to recruit a capable, experienced and passionate Ugandan for the position of Grants Acconting Specialist.
INTRODUCTION: Under the overall responsibility and technical supervision of the Project Director and the lead investment specialist, the Grants Accounting Specialist will support the project in all the project grant implementation processes from the on boarding of lead firms to the close out phase.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The specific duties of the grants Specialist will include: to
1. Support the PSFU Lead Firm (LF) case managers to ensure that activities are implemented in accordance with annual workplans and budgets;
2. Support all grantees and project team members to resolve issues that arise during the lead firm co-creation granting process;
3. Ensure that all grant/co-investment activities are properly documented from the start of implementation to the grant/co-investment closure;
4. Review and analyse budget estimates for accuracy, allowability, allocabillity, resonableness and consistency to ensure that the principle of value for money is observed at all times;
5. Provide quarterly, bi-annual and annual grant management reports to all grantees/co-investors, thorugh their case managers;
6. Provide procedures and policy guidance and interpretation for project staff as well as service providers to ensure adherence to grants/co-investment management guidelines;
7. Support the analysis and evaluation of grants/co-investment applications, proposals and awards to ensure adherence to grants management procedures;
8. Prepare grant agreements and assist with supervision/implementation of
grants including closure and dispositions of plans;
9. Support the capacity development of lead firms, SMEs and Community Based Organisations (CBOs) in grant/ co-investment tracking and management;
10. Support the development of a list of pre-qualified Business Development Support (BDS) service providers and ensure quality execution for each assignment undertaken;
11.Monitor BDS service providers to ensure that funds allocated are used for specified purposes;
12.Monitor the procurement process under the project to ensure competitiveness and compliance;
13.Provide grant management leadership to other Young Africa Works (YAW) implementing partners;
14.Carry out any other duties as the Project Director may assign.
DURATION, LOCATION AND NATURE OF APPOINTMENT
The appointment will be for an initial 2 years, renewable. The Grants Accounting Specialist will work from the Project Unit in Kampala, but will be required to travel throughout the country in accordance with approved work plans and programmes
QUALIFICATIONS: The Grants Accounting Specialist will be recruited competitively and must have the following qualifications:
1. A professional Accounting qualification (ACCA, CPA, ACA, CIMA)
2. Atleast 3 years working experience in the non-profit sector in grants accounting
3. Extensive familiarity with grants management software and several years of experience with the software and database in a responsible position
4. Demonstrated technology experience, providing administrative support to complex systems as well as overall system implementation management;
5. Strong knowledge and understanding of financial statements and audited accounts of prospective grantees, and has performed financial due diligence reviews of grantees;
6. Advanced experience in database management;
7. Experience with Microsoft SharePoint and SAP based systems, preferably;
8. The ability to maintain a cooperative, supportive and amiable relationship with other members of the project and with the PSFU secretariat staff in general;
9. Demonstrated fiscal management skills, including budget management, developing and maintaining appropriate internal controls, and grant administration policies and procedures;
10.Demonstrated strong communication skills;
11.The ability to draft contracts;
12. Leadership skills, such as to invite and sustain the confidence of the Lead firm, Board members and senior management teams, project staff and to promote credibility in the project grants management system at large;
13.The ability to maintain a confidential stance with respect to the business and affairs of the project , and those with whom it has relationships;
14.Experience implementing grants policies and procedures;
15.Abiltiy to work with minimum supervision;
16.A good understanding of private sector development issues and appreciation of the role the private sector can play in economic development and in a grant making perspective;
17.An appreciation/understanding of the extent and effects of youth unemployment; and the social (especially gender and youth) dimensions of development;
18.Demonstrated written, analytical, presentation, reporting and computing skills and familiarity with modern communication systems (internet, world wide web, email etc.);
19.Ability and readiness to work in a multicultural and multi-disciplinary environment;
1. A passion for youth – men and women;
2. A commitment to the protection of youth and children
Interested candidates are invited to submit their ONLINE applications not later than Monday 27th June, 2022 5pm addressed to;
Private Sector Foundation Uganda
Plot 43 Nakasero Hill Road
P.O.Box 7683, Kampala
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvasing will automatically disqualify any candidate.
PSFU is an equal opportunity employer. Women are strongly encouraged to apply