- Announcement Number:
- Hiring Agency:
- Embassy Kampala
- Position Title:
- Open Period:
- 01/18/2023 – 01/31/2023Format MM/DD/YYYY
- Vacancy Time Zone:
- LE – 1310 2
- Not Specified
- Work Schedule:
- Full-time –
- Promotion Potential:
- Duty Location(s):
- 2 Vacancy in
- Telework Eligible:
- For More Info:
- Hiring Path:
- • Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is CC. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
• All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required:
- Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type
- Appointment Type Details:
- Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement:
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time (40 hours per week)
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (4 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position:
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
The gardener is responsible for performing gardening care and grounds maintenance at Mission office facilities including associated agencies, as well as other U.S. Government (USG) owned and leased properties as directed and at the official residences of the Principal Officials at post. Communicates with customers regarding needs for landscaping, lawn service, and grounds keeping work.Monitors sites and determines the need for fertilizers, soil amendments, and mineral additive. Mixes and applies Post Occupational Safety and Health Officer (POSHO) approved insecticides, and herbicides.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- EXPERIENCE: A minimum of two (2) years of gardening experience is required.
Good working knowledge of how to plant/ transplant shrubs, flowers etc. typical for the area required. Maintenance of gardens and lawns using knowledge of gardening and swimming pool cleaning techniques are required. Good working knowledge of Overseas Building Operations (OBO) FAM and FAH regulations pertaining to grounds maintenance and procedures, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Education Requirements:
- Completion of Primary School.
- Post may choose to add the phrase “This may be tested” after a language, skill, and/or ability. Review the VA template for specific information.
English level I (Rudimentary knowledge) Reading/Writing/Speaking is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to physically able perform arduous tasks as well as work independently.
- Ability to use hand tools and operate motorized equipment and vehicles, such as mowers, sprinklers, etc. Ability to use all gardening tools and swimming pool, cleaning equipment.
- Must be able to lift and move objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Must be able to wear personal protective equipment such as eyewear, and safety shoes.
- Must be able to perform assign tasks in all types of weather, and environmental weather conditions to include at times severe cold, extreme heat, wet or dry weather conditions, and high winds.
- A valid driver’s license of Class B is required.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Agency Benefits:
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in (insert post and/or country name) may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Other Information:
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
1. AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
2. AEFM / USEFM
3. FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active-duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
- How to Apply:
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
To apply for this position, click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- Required Documents:
- To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
• Primary Leaving Certificate
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
• Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
• Passport copy
• DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
• SF-50 (if applicable)
- Next Steps:
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in (insert post and/or country name).