FINANCE FOR DEVELOPMENT & economic justice COORDINATOR
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
|Annual Salary and Benefits –||As per Oxfam’s provisions|
|Internal Job Grade –||C2|
|Contract type –||Fixed Term|
|Reporting to –||Governance and Accountability Manager|
|Staff reporting directly to this post –|
|Location – Kampala|
Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty.
Working with and through partners, Civil Society networks, public and private institutions to support women, men and young people to meaningfully participate in Finance for Development and economic justice policy processes and to actively demand for fair tax systems that generates and fairly mobilize adequate finance to support sustainable development through transparent and accountable funding/financing and investment in key social sectors for the delivery of social and economic rights and benefits for all. Ensures the promotion of women’s rights is at the heart of Oxfam in Uganda’s program work. Promote the Tripple nexus programming and Oxfam’s one program approach’s way of working.
Produce, analyze and use complex and diverse public policy and development information to support strategic development and implementation of the finance for development pillar. Provide specialist advice and skills on FFD and economic justice focus areas and ensure collaborations/linkages within G&A and with other Oxfam thematic areas. The candidate will be responsible for coordinating planning and implementation of FFD projects and initiatives in close collaboration with the other team members. Coordinate and facilitate the development and implementation of agreed plans or strategies by collaborating with other sub thematic areas and themes; Gather and analyze complex information to support advocacy and campaign activities; Participate in appropriate campaign and advocacy work, to further Oxfam’s change objectives; occasionally expected to represent Oxfam in the media within area of specialty; Some external representation and relationship management responsibilities, proactively engaging with a range of internal and external stakeholders; Role is semi-independent and variable, with well-defined targets and/or minimum standards, requiring effective management of non-routine and routine management tasks;
Decision making mainly operational, requiring analysis and problem solving skills to develop solutions to diverse problems.
- Technical lead on tax justice, budget advocacy and social accountability.
- Conduct regular policy analysis of relevant Finance and for Development contexts, trends and projections including gender dimensions of any such issue. You will be expected to keep abreast with latest developments in the public finance and development areas and how those developments impacts on the lives of people.
- Initiate the development of projects and support other Oxfam team mates in the development of cross linking projects. You will provide technical support to other team members on FFD and on its linkages with their intended projects and build synergies between the Governance Theme and other thematic areas in the Country Office.
- Conduct regular assessment of risk profiles of the work in which Oxfam and Partners are engaged in or intending to engage and provide advice to the Manager on the risk mitigation or risk avoidance measures.
- Initiate the identification and assessment of partners within the public sector, private sector, civil society, academia and development partners for strategic collaborations and engagements in delivering the objectives of Oxfam’s strategic change goals.
- Develop regular influencing strategies and agendas for advocacy and campaigns on areas of public finance, development, international finance systems, tax policies, trade and investments and businesses relevant to Oxfam strategic objectives.
- Coordinate Oxfam in Uganda’s multi country engagements such as policy advocacy, research, strategic collaborations, capacity enhancements, resource mobilizations and collective thinking.
- Adopts a “thought leadership” attitude as well as commission and supervise high impact and agenda setting research in areas of fiscal policy and development and ensure production of quality reports.
- Ensure donor and other reports are done in a timely manner and to a highest standards in accordance with donor contracts
- Undertake regular monitoring and evaluation processes to continually assess project/s performance and delivery against agreed results and recommend action to ensure delivery is achieved;
- Maintain awareness of the perception of Oxfam’s reputation as a global development and campaigns agency
- Develop regular communication materials such as blogs, opinions, commentaries and articles on topical issues of public finance, development, economics, international and multi-lateral systems which are relevant for improving the lives of people, reducing inequality and ending poverty.
- Actively participate in, and build strong collaborative relationships with CSO networks especially in areas of civic space, accountability, citizens engagements and public participation to foster learning, sharing and timely actions..
- Funding and Donor Management; participate in relevant fund raising activities, monitoring funding opportunities and support response to these opportunities with approved concept notes and proposals.
- Provide high quality reports according to donor contract agreements and Oxfam programme quality and learning reporting standards.
- Ensure compliance with government regulations, laws and policies for all work being undertaken under this function.
- Inspire and Empower: Oxfam desires a person whose ideologies, passion, compassion and working styles, will inspire and empower other colleagues. You should be motivational, inspirational and empowering.
- Thought leadership: Adopt a “thought leadership” attitude, stay up to date with the latest thinking, undertake research or analysis that brings new perspectives and insights.
- Initiator: actively identify opportunities and initiates actions and processes to address both existing or impending challenges to avert delays, derailments, overlaps, duplication and redundancy of Oxfam’s programs.
- Effective Communicator and relationship builder: You must be effective in both oral and written communications to Oxfam staff, partners, supporters and external stakeholders.
- Systems thinker: you must understand how your actions, inactions, program work affects Oxfam as a confederation and partners. You must understand the interconnectedness of the work that Oxfam does and the broader change goals it seeks to achieve
- This role will not have staff management responsibility. However, there may be instances where you will exercise supervision over some staff or other resource persons that may work for Oxfam.
- She/ he will work closely and report to with the Thematic manager-Inclusive Governance and Accountability on Management of all FFD & EJ projects and related resources in line with Country Office internal policies.
- S/he will not have any budget holding responsibility but will be responsible for budget execution of all projects under your function.
You must have completed a Master’s Degree in any of the following: Economics; Public Financial Management; International development; Taxation.
Experience and Job Requirements
- 7+ years of working on Finance for Development and Economic Justice program/projects; Experience of working in an international organization will be an added advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of programme development and delivery approaches, tools, methodologies and best practices;
- Excellent Gender analytical lense and conversant with Feminist principles and inclusive approaches
- Excellent research skills and demonstrated publications of opinions, blogs, articles in topical issues
- Knowledge and practical experience on fiscal policy programming (i.e. promoting Tax justice, inequality reducing budget/public spending, Transparency and accountability, Debt justice, reforming economic systems etc.-specifically on research, policy advocacy, campaigns, lobbying and fundraising) in a diverse socio-political set up and ideally built on mature understanding of relevant issues.
- Experience in influencing international financial institutions (IFIs) and advocacy platforms.
- Good knowledge of active citizenship and constraints to citizens’ participation in decision making processes.
- Experience of and thorough understanding of a “Rights Based Approach”;
- Commitment to and good knowledge of working with a partnership approach across the spectrum of Oxfam’s work, including innovative approaches to capacity strengthening;
- Good knowledge of and experience with finance for development donor funding environment and good financial and project management skills;
- Excellent communication skills, in written and verbal English;
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues, as well as the commitment to equal opportunities.
- Ability to demonstrate an openness and willingness to learn about the application of gender/gender mainstreaming, women’s rights, feminist principles and diversity for all aspects of development work.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s safeguarding policies to ensure all people who come into contact with Oxfam are as safe as possible.
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of self-awareness, initiative, sound judgment, personal energy and flexibility;
- Ability and willingness to travel and to work extra hours as necessary
Key Behavioral Competencies
(based on Oxfam’s Leadership Model)
|Influencing||We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organization We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.|
|Relationship Building||We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organization.|
|Mutual Accountability||We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.|
|Strategic Thinking and Judgment||We use judgment, weighing risk against the imperative to act. We make decisions consistent with organizational strategies and values.|