Do you have the strategic leadership skills for nurturing a positive organisational culture, capacity for building strategic relationships and developing a vibrant programme portfolio, mobilising resources, and delivering high quality results. If yes, then apply for this position based in Kampala, Uganda.
AKF Uganda is part of the AKF East Africa regional structure that supports programmes in Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania. In Uganda, AKF manages a robust and expanding portfolio of multi-sectorial initiatives that includes programmes which focus on advancing learning outcomes, strengthening education systems, improving the quality of early childhood development, establishing inclusive and responsive civil society, and creating climate resilience solutions to address current and future challenges faced by communities across Uganda.
The Country Manager is charged with leadership of the programme portfolio which focuses on improving the quality of life of diverse communities across Uganda. The position calls for a growth mindset, innovation, and the ability to incorporate human-centric solutions to complex development challenges faced by communities today and in the future. The Country Manager is a thought leader both within AKF, the AKDN, and externally and is required to cultivate networks with diverse actors including communities, government, like-minded organizations, and funding partners. The Country Manager has full supervisory responsibility for the portfolio and is responsible for building a cohesive team that works together with AKF’s regional and global functions to deliver high-impact programming across the country.
- Lead, develop, design, articulate, and execute AKF Uganda’s strategic direction and strategic goals, with the context of AKDN priority efforts in the context of 3-5 years’ vision and growth in consultation with the Regional and Global Leadership.
- Lead and effectively mobilise resources for new and existing programs by positioning AKF Uganda as a partner of choice, development of high-quality funding proposals, and engaging with partners and donors.
- Coordinate with AKDN agencies on the development and implementation of programmes in Uganda; engage proactively with government and stakeholders to credibly represent the AKF and its sister agencies as required.
- Lead in the development of the programme portfolio and oversee quality program implementation on result, on time, and on budget through strong leadership and coordination across all programs, projects, and sectors. Cultivate a learning and reflection culture and advocating for iterations in design to drive quality impact.
- Drive commitment to delivering high quality results with cost-effective use of resources, set appropriate deliverables and use innovative working methods to develop capacity, capability, and a sustainable environment; with a sharp vision of outcome, communicated to inspire the team.
- Develop and nurture a positive and conducive organisational culture for talent attraction, development, and retention and inspire self and others to greater performance, professional standards, and results; creating understanding through role clarity and strong vision for individuals and team; lead change; encourage learning and reflection; give and receive timely balanced feedback.
- Lead AKF Uganda staff and collaborate in partnership with implementing stakeholders, to ensure quality reporting on projects, negotiation of contracts, compliance with requirements, financial oversight, and monitoring and evaluation among other activities.
- Ensure the financial sustainability and compliance by working closely with in country and regional finance functions. Ensure the performance of financial controls, policies and strategies are appropriate and followed across the country.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in International Development and/or humanitarian assistance, of which at least 3 years in senior leadership position.
- Ability to build, maintain and deepen relationships with stakeholders with a specific focus on AKF’s mission, balances business situations and the art of dealing with people and communities, changes approach to achieve desired results if required.
- Demonstrated capacity for leading, inspiring a diverse team for optimum performance, and creating an organizational culture which is inclusive, dynamic, and innovative.
- Strong people skills, initiative, ability to network with government and a range of development partners to form positive relationships and to influence policy.
- A natural networker that creates and participates in communities of practice. Able to represent institutional views and experience in diverse settings. Strong networking skills to better understand the political, economic, and social environments and build collaborative relationships.
- Enterprising attitude that is quick to search out alternative solutions to needs or problems; high analytical skills and the ability to assimilate and process information on a wide range of issues, excellent writing, communication, and financial analysis skills. Agile thinker and able to work within and thorough systems.
- Committed to acting ethically and upholding safeguarding standards towards all staff, volunteers, and beneficiaries of the organisation.
- Experience in the region and particularly Uganda is a a distinct advantage.
Location: Kampala – Uganda
Interested candidates should submit a curriculum vitae (CV), including three referees, a cover letter that outlines why you are best suited for this exciting opportunity by 12th December 2022.
AKF Is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is Committed to Safeguarding and Promoting the Welfare of Children and Vulnerable Adults and Expects all Staff and Partners to Share this Commitment.
The Aga Khan Foundation is an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (www.akdn.org)
About the Agency
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF), alongside its sister AKDN agencies, has implemented innovative, community-driven solutions to development challenges for over 50 years. It brings together human, financial and technical resources to address some of the challenges faced by the poorest and most marginalised communities in the world. Special emphasis is placed on investing in human potential, expanding opportunity and improving the overall quality of life, especially for women and girls. It works primarily in six areas: Agriculture and Food Security; Economic Inclusion; Education; Early Childhood Development; Health and Nutrition; and Civil Society.
Region: Eastern Africa
Salary: Salary and package to attract the best candidate
Job Expires: 12-Dec-2022