Job Title: Communications Assistant
Job Type: Full time
Job Reference: COMMS2023
Location: Uganda, Kampala
Application Deadline: 15th June 2023
The African Fertilizer and Agribusiness Partnership (AFAP) is looking to hire a Communications Assistant to
join our team. The ideal candidate should have excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication
skills, as well as the ability to work independently and in a team environment. The successful candidate will
have the opportunity to work in an exciting, fast-paced and creative environment, gaining knowledge and
experience in the African agriculture field.
The African Fertilizer Agribusiness Partnership (AFAP) is an independent non-profit organization that works with both public and private sector partners to strengthen and build fertilizer markets in Africa. AFAP is primarily focused on the design and implementation of sustainable developmental projects that support
policy and regulatory reform, capacity development, financial credit provision and data gathering and
market intelligence development and dissemination. AFAP provides market-driven business solutions in
agricultural inputs and agribusiness value chain sectors.
AFAP combines technical expertise with entrepreneurial innovation and adds value to the fertilizer and
agribusiness value chain by building the capacity and linking African Hub Agro-dealers and Smallholder
Farmers to global fertilizer and food companies, balanced crop nutrition products, technology, financing,
and equipment providers in Africa.
AFAP’s public-private partnership strategy is ultimately designed to build the capacity of African fertilizer
and agribusiness SMEs and increase agricultural productivity. The execution of that strategy with partners
results in increasing food security, income, job creation, and agriculture contribution to national GDPs.
Description of Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Support in developing and executing communications campaigns on various platforms including
LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook etc.
2. Assist with content creation, including copywriting and editing of publications, brochures,
newsletters and other documents
3. Support creative work in the design and development of marketing materials using Adobe Design
Software (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premier, Fireworks etc.)
4. Manage online platforms including the AFAP website(s) (on a WordPress platform), intranet, and
other digital systems
5. Monitor media coverage and trends related to the organization’s activities
6. Help coordinate press events and interviews
7. Support event hosting activities under the direction of the Communications Officer
8. Assist with the development of media relations materials including press releases and other communication documents
9. Research media outlets for industry news, trends and opportunities for coverage
10. Assist with special events including press conferences, customer events or other public events as
11. Execute administrative tasks as needed
A completed Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or related field. Creative
Design expertise will be a plus.
A minimum 2 years’ experience, in a similar position.
1. Excellent writing skills (strong , copywriting and editing skills) with experience creating content for
a variety of mediums (print & digital)
2. Keen interest in communications/public relations/journalism, especially as it relates to corporate
3. Knowledge of social media tools (Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.)
4. Knowledge of creative design software (particularly Adobe Design Suite)
5. Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
6. Ability to take initiative and work independently
Desired start date of position: As Soon As Possible
If you match the requirements for this job, please send a CV, a one-page cover Letter and copies of certificates to support your application along with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org and apply by 15th June 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please quote the position in the email subject line.