The ELMA Philanthropies Services (East Africa) Ltd. (“ELMA Philanthropies”) is seeking an Administrative Coordinator to join its team in Kampala, Uganda. Reporting directly to the Manager, Finance and working closely with the Director, Programs, the Administrative Coordinator will be the front desk receptionist and will coordinate all aspects of the day-to-day office operations and facility administration.
About ELMA Philanthropies:
With offices in New York City, Cape Town, Johannesburg and Kampala, ELMA Philanthropies develops program strategies, identifies grant and other investment opportunities, monitors and evaluates investment performance, and manages strategic partnerships for The ELMA Group of Foundations. This Group includes The ELMA Foundation, The ELMA Relief Foundation, The ELMA Vaccines and Immunization Foundation, The ELMA Music Foundation, The ELMA Growth Foundation, The ELMA Caribbean Foundation, and The ELMA South Africa Foundation. ELMA Philanthropies is largely focused on providing these services to the largest foundation within the group, The ELMA Foundation. A full description of the investment frameworks and activities of each Foundation can be found on our website: www.elmaphilanthropies.org.
The ELMA Foundation’s mission is to improve the lives of African children and youth through support of sustainable efforts to relieve poverty, advance education, and promote health. It is primarily active in eastern and southern Africa.
The ELMA Relief Foundation invests in relief efforts throughout the globe with special attention to Africa and the needs of children, who often suffer disproportionately in the aftermath of such tragedies.
The ELMA South Africa Foundation funds organizations and programs that support development and progress in South Africa.
The ELMA Music Foundation invests in organizations in USA and South Africa that support youth development through music or provide assistance to members of the music community undergoing personal and financial hardship.
The ELMA Vaccines and Immunization Foundation’s mission is to expand vaccine and immunization coverage for children globally, with a special emphasis on Africa.
The ELMA Growth Foundation invests in the growth or expansion of initiatives that improve the lives of low-income communities in Africa.
The ELMA Caribbean Foundation supports efforts to advance health or combat the environmental and economic threats posed by climate change in the Caribbean.
The Administrative Coordinator’s job responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Front desk reception – serve as the ambassador for the organization, answering and directing phone calls and welcoming guests and colleagues with a sense of pride and excellence
- Maintain an organized and appropriately supplied kitchen and wellness/lactation room
- Maintain well-stocked and organized inventory of office supplies
- Coordinate food and beverage orders, catering event service, set-up, and clean-up for various meetings
- Manage conference rooms and their respective calendars
- Manage meeting invitations, tech support, and settings for virtual events and in-person meetings
- Establish working relationship with ELMA’s travel agency to book and manage travel and accommodation for the team, and liaise as needed with our global offices
- Support the Operations Team as needed in managing and implementing IT policies and procedures, infrastructure maintenance scheduling and management, and assisting with operations projects
- Receive and sort incoming mail and deliveries; manage outgoing mail and packages
- Establish and maintain relationships with regular vendors and the office building
- Take initiative to monitor and address office tidiness
- Identify opportunities to improve administrative functions of the office and ensure efficient and smooth day-to-day business operations
- Provide physical file management as requested
- Lead our social and environmental committee to ensure that our procurement policies and practices are environmentally and socially responsible
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to form an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required for the position. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time
Alignment to Values:
All ELMA employees are expected to demonstrate fit with ELMA’s organizational values and culture. Specifically, all employees are expected to demonstrate a commitment to:
- ELMA’s core values of: humility and integrity; respect for human dignity; pursuit of excellence; commitment to partnership; and a results-orientation informed by continuous learning; and
- Gender equity, social justice, and combatting white supremacy, patriarchy, homophobia, colonialism, and other intersecting systems of oppression.
- An associate or bachelor’s degree is not required but preferred
- A minimum of four years’ experience in office operations and administration
- Strong time-management and organizational skills, attention to detail and common-sense approach
- Excellent relationship-building skills and ability to collaborate on internal teams of diverse backgrounds as well as with external stakeholders and partners
- Flexible and adaptable to rapid change; a self-starter and team-player
- Strong work ethic and ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Fluency in English and excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Products, and aptitude to learn new software and systems
- Experience with coordinating international executive travel
- Ability to work in-person 9am-5pm Monday through Friday and work early mornings on a limited basis
- Must be able to legally work in the country where this position is located without visa sponsorship
Salary, Benefits & Other Details:
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications with attractive benefits. The salary range for this position is $30,000 to $40,000.
ELMA employees are expected to work in the office located in Kampala city Monday – Thursday, full time with the option to work remotely on Friday.
How to Apply: The ELMA Philanthropies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position. All employment decisions shall be made without regard to age, race, creed, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, marital status, or any other basis as protected by Ugandan law.
If you would like to apply for this position, please submit the following with your application:
- A cover letter
- Details of contactable references