Job Title: Accountant Controller
Department: Global Accounting & Reporting
Reports to: Global Financial Operations Manager
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Job Grade: 15
About ENGIE Energy Access
ENGIE Energy Access is the leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa. The company develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGO solar home systems are financed through affordable instalments from $0.19 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities. With over 1,800 employees, operations in nine countries across Africa (Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1.8 million customers and more than 9 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to impact 20 million lives across Africa by 2025.
- Cashflow forecasting ensuring that there is sufficient funding for global operations.
- Providing SAP support to countries by managing the ticketing system and providing solutions to SAP queries from countries within 24 hours.
- SAP preparation of supplier & service provider invoices for payment ensuring all supporting documentation are added to the ERP (LPOs, Delivery Notes, Invoices).
- Management staff payment requests, visa payment processing, URA payments.
- Verification, allocation, posting and monthly reconciliation accounts payable and receivable.
- Analyze financial information and summarize financial status and production of accounting reports.
- Review and recommend modifications to accounting systems and procedures to improve efficiencies.
- Preparation of financial statements and production of budget versus actual analysis according to schedule.
- Support month-end and year-end close process.
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls to enhance compliance with IFRS and GAAP principles.
- Liaise with our Financial Operations Mangers, Heads of Finance and Accounting Managers to improve financial procedures, accurate and timely reporting.
- Manage country inventory deliveries in SAP.
- Reconciliation of Intercompany accounts i.e., receivables, payables with countries
- Reconciliation of revenue recognition and cost of goods booked in SAP.
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as an Accountant, and or accounting supervisor
- Working knowledge of inventory management is preferred but not mandatory.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting procedures
- In-depth understanding of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Familiarity with financial accounting statements and the Uganda Tax Regulations
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process
- Advanced knowledge and hands-on experience with accounting ERP such as SAP B1
- Advanced MS Excel skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Aptitude for numbers and quantitative skills
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, Finance or relevant
- Relevant certification (e.g., ACCA or CPA) will be preferred.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however due to the large volume of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths