Position Number: MUWRP/14/11/2022
Position Title: Locum Laboratory Technologists (2)
Position Location: Mulago
Contract Tenure: 6 months with a possibility of extension subject to availability of funding
Position Summary: The incumbent will serve as a laboratory technologist for the Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP) College of American Pathologist (CAP) accredited laboratory located at College of Health Sciences in Kampala. The laboratory technologist will serve under the immediate supervision of, and report to the Laboratory Manager or his/her designee. The incumbent will be required during his/her service to work closely with laboratory management to ensure that the mandate of Makerere University Walter Reed Project is fulfilled.
The incumbent’s primary responsibility will be to maintain proficiency in parasitological analyses. Additionally, the technologist will be expected to maintain general QA/QC procedures, and may be called on to support safety testing.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
9. Proficiently perform Specimen accessioning and PBMC, Plasma and serum processing per SOP and become proficient enough to conduct the assay without daily oversight. Cell processing includes isolation of PBMCs and counting, in addition to freezing and storage of the samples.
10. Proficiently conduct Automated and Manual Hematology including Malaria microscopy as established in the SOPs for each assay.
11. Proficiently conduct clinical chemistry, troubleshooting and maintenance of the Cobas Integra machine as established in the SOPs and operator’s manual.
12. Proficiently conduct Pregnancy and urinalysis as established in the SOP’s for each assay.
13. The incumbent will be required during his/her training in the Principle laboratories at Makerere University/Walter Reed Project at Medical School in Kampala to work closely with the various heads of sections.
14. Perform QA/QC, maintain laboratory equipment, including but not limited to service and repair as established by SOPs and QA/QC guidelines.
15. Maintain lab databases and keep up with current software applications for specific departments.
16. Perform other duties as assigned.
Position specifications: The incumbent will initially be introduced to the QA/QC policies in the laboratory and learn PBMC, Plasma, processing per SOP and become proficient enough to conduct the assay without daily oversight. Cell processing includes isolation of PBMCs and counting, in addition to freezing and storage of the samples. Knowledge and practice of Hematology, Chemistry, Pregnancy and urinalysis testing is required along with their specific control measures.
4. The Technologist must be aware of the logistics used in the laboratory and be conscious of laboratory safety issues at hand.
5. This is also true for all equipment used regardless who is responsible according to the monthly duty roster and/or the head of that section.
6. Occasionally new laboratory activities will be initiated and the incumbent may be requested to learn the experiment protocol.
Required Education and Knowledge and experience:
3. Bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Laboratory Technology, Bachelors in Medical Laboratory Sciences or any related science laboratory field. Diploma in medical laboratory technology will be an added advantage.
4. 2 Years working experience.
Supervisory Controls: The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Laboratory Manager or designee.
Physical Ability: Ability to professionally communicate in writing and verbally or other means deemed appropriate. The incumbent should have ability to travel to and from work and the Project’s collaborative sites in Kayunga, Entebbe and any other if necessary. The incumbent will from time to time be required to lift some lab supplies to and from the lab to the required destination as he/she may be directed by his/her superiors. The incumbent is also expected to able to sit for extended periods of time.
How to apply: –
1. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online by submitting an application letter, resume, copies of academic certificates in a 1 PDF or word document, including three referees (who are not relatives) and one of which should be your current supervisor. Indicate their day time telephone contacts and email addresses.
2. Deadline for Application is 3rd December 2022.
3. Any form of canvassing will lead to disqualification
4. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.