This position is located in Jinja, Uganda. Applications are being accepted through January 30, 2023
Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a rapidly growing Christian engineering nonprofit working to end the global water crisis by building safe water, sanitation, and hygiene solutions in developing nations and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served more than 7 million people in 57 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about our Statement of Faith and Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
Reporting to the WASH Officer in Uganda, the Assistant WASH Officer – Water is responsible for completing their work with a high degree of excellence and according to all standards, values and requirements of the organization. The position will be located in Jinja, Uganda and will require one to reside within Jinja. The position offers a full-time fixed term contract with the opportunity for yearly renewals.
The Assistant WASH Officer – Water is responsible for:
- Maintain a strong Christian witness and model servant leadership to colleagues, partners, the communities we serve and the public.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Mobilize communities to participate in the implementation, operation and maintenance of safe water projects.
- Support communities in the formation and capacity building of WASH committees through training in water, sanitation, and hygiene as well as project sustainability and micro-enterprise.
- Support project beneficiaries to develop a sustainable operation and maintenance mechanism with full engagement of all.
- Coordinate with key local government focal offices to ensure that they are fully engaged and updated on all project activities as desired.
- Implement community development aspects of projects according to Water Mission International standards.
- Participate in carrying out project assessments in a timely and efficient manner.
- Mobilize, organize, coordinate and train communities in Health & Hygiene promotion and/or Micro-enterprise.
- Keep updated documentation of community development activities including making periodic field activity reports with photos.
- Perform any other duties as assigned from time to time.
What is required?
- A personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and core values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity.
- A minimum of a Diploma in Environmental Health Science, Public Health, Social Work, Social Administration, Social Sciences, Developmental Studies, or any related fields.
- One (1) year of experience in WASH in developmental programming.
- Ability to ride a motorcycle with a valid Class A, riding permit.
- Skills with office computer programs, i.e., PowerPoint presentation, Excel, and MS Office.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills (English, Lusoga and Luganda are the preferred languages).
- Clear and concise oral and written communication skills.
- Capable of working independently and in a team environment.
- Legal authorization to work in Uganda without sponsorship.
- Commitment to the values and mission of the organization and ending the global water crisis.