This position is located in Jinja, Uganda. Applications are being accepted through January 30, 2023
Who is Water Mission?
Water Mission is a rapidly growing Christian engineering nonprofit working to end the global water crisis by building safe water, sanitation, and hygiene solutions in developing nations and disaster areas. Guided by love, excellence, and integrity, we are driven to share clean, safe water and God’s love with all. To date, we have served more than 7 million people in 57 countries. Working at Water Mission is as much a calling as it is a career, and we are searching for people with the courage, passion, and drive to help us change the world. Read more about our Statement of Faith and Christian Mission.
What is the opportunity?
Reporting to the WASH Officer in Uganda, the Assistant WASH Officer – Sanitation is responsible for completing their work with a high degree of excellence and according to all standards, values and requirements of the organization. The position will be located in Jinja, Uganda and will require one to reside within Jinja. The position offers a full-time fixed term contract with the opportunity for yearly renewals.
The Assistant WASH Officer – Sanitation is responsible for:
- Maintain a strong Christian witness and model servant leadership to colleagues, partners, the communities we serve and the public.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in District and Sub- County inception for the CLTS+/SanMak in District.
- Carry out baseline surveys in all targeted villages to assess the type of toilets/ latrines to determine the number of households that have unimproved & basic sanitation facilities in targeted sub-counties.
- Support the identification, recruitment, training, and supervision of masons and Sanitation Promoters on CLTS+/SanMak Implementation Approach (MBSIA) in target sub-counties.
- Conduct pre-triggering and planning meetings at the village level and prepare village maps and triggering logistics in target sub-counties.
- Conduct triggering meetings in villages per selected parishes and sub-counties such that people get from the unimproved to improved sanitation status.
- Identify and determine “problem villages” whose improvement is slow for supportive follow-up activities.
- Plan for sales visits to villages aimed at supporting sanitation promoters to make sales.
- Conduct scheduled visits to sanitation promoters aimed at supporting the sanitation promoters to make sales and suppliers to meet the demand for selling improved sanitation products.
- Conduct monthly joint monitoring visits with government officials at district and or Sub- County levels.
- Track, develop and submit field activity, monthly and quarterly performance reports with both qualitative and quantitative progress data.
- Other duties as assigned.
What is required?
- A personal and growing relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Alignment with Water Mission’s Statement of Faith and core values of Love, Excellence, and Integrity.
- A minimum of a Diploma in Environmental Health Science, Public Health, Social Works Social Administration, Social Sciences, Developmental Studies, or any related fields.
- One (1) year of experience in WASH in developmental programming.
- Ability to ride a motorcycle with a valid Class A, riding permit.
- Ability to market and close sales.
- Skills with office computer programs, i.e., PowerPoint presentation, Excel, and MS Office.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills (English, Lusoga and Luganda are the preferred languages).
- Clear and concise oral and written communication skills.
- Capable of working independently and in a team environment.