VAnguard’s goal is to understand how biological and social factors interact to impair vaccine impact in vulnerable African communities, in order to develop integrated strategies to optimise
vaccine benefits and drive health equity.
VAnguard brings together African and UK experts in vaccine research, implementation and stakeholder and community engagement, to work in Uganda and Kenya to:
1. Investigate how biological factors (such as infections, nutrition) influence vaccine responses
2. Explore how communities perceive and access vaccines, what influences them to take up vaccines for themselves and their families, and how this relates to social vulnerability, biological health status and vaccine information
3. Bring together biological and social data, and engage communities, to work out how vaccination can best be optimised for vulnerable communities, thereby also benefitting entire populations.
We shall work with national stakeholders such as Ministries of Health, and vaccine-related non governmental organisations to review literature, and work on samples from previous studies, to
identify Ugandan and Kenyan communities likely to have most difficulty in getting the best out of vaccination programmes.
Based at the UVRI, VAnguard will initiate a new multidisciplinary Group comprising the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), East African partners at the forefront of building vaccine research capacity in the region: UVRI and Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) Wellcome Trust Research
Programme. Additional contributions will be made by the Medical Research Council (MRC)/UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit (MUL), Makerere University, Uganda Christian University
(UCU), the Ugandan and Kenyan Ministries of Health (MoH) and expert collaborators.
4. Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant
The Monitoring &Evaluation (M&E) Assistant will support the Project Manager to collect and analyze systematic data from work packages for the quarterly and annual reports. He/she will also support the communications specialist in maintaining web content, executing social media strategies and maintaining
calendars and appointments.
Required qualifications, skills, and experience
• A relevant Bachelor’s degree from a reputable university
• Relevant experience in a position of monitoring and evaluation including report writing skills and written communication skills in English
• Experience in designing /formulating monitoring tools
• Experience with the execution in data collection, entry and analysis and related work with
• Proficient use of data analysis software such as EXCEL, SPSS or STATA
• Basic knowledge in development of web based data collection tools such as survey monkey
• Ability to organise, manage time, set goals and motivate colleagues
VAnguard is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community including candidates with disabilities. The anticipated start date for the position is 1st November 2022 and the appointees will be based at UVRI, Entebbe. Further information may be obtained from the VAnguard Administrator (Raymond Muganyizi, email@example.com) or VAnguard Project Manager (Victoria Bukirwa, firstname.lastname@example.org).
How to Apply:
Candidates are requested to send in a single pdf: an application cover letter, curriculum vitae, academic documents and names, email addresses and telephone contact details of two (2) professional referees, by e-mail to: email@example.com
The deadline for receiving applications is the 23rd September 2022.