VAnguard’s goal is to understand how biological and social factors interact to impair vaccine impact in vulnerable African communities, in order to develop integrated strategies to optimise
vaccine benefits and drive health equity.
VAnguard brings together African and UK experts in vaccine research, implementation and stakeholder and community engagement, to work in Uganda and Kenya to:
1. Investigate how biological factors (such as infections, nutrition) influence vaccine responses
2. Explore how communities perceive and access vaccines, what influences them to take up vaccines for themselves and their families, and how this relates to social vulnerability, biological health status and vaccine information
3. Bring together biological and social data, and engage communities, to work out how vaccination can best be optimised for vulnerable communities, thereby also benefitting entire populations.
We shall work with national stakeholders such as Ministries of Health, and vaccine-related non governmental organisations to review literature, and work on samples from previous studies, to
identify Ugandan and Kenyan communities likely to have most difficulty in getting the best out of vaccination programmes.
Based at the UVRI, VAnguard will initiate a new multidisciplinary Group comprising the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), East African partners at the forefront of building vaccine research capacity in the region: UVRI and Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) Wellcome Trust Research
Programme. Additional contributions will be made by the Medical Research Council (MRC)/UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit (MUL), Makerere University, Uganda Christian University
(UCU), the Ugandan and Kenyan Ministries of Health (MoH) and expert collaborators.
2. Laboratory Technologist
The Laboratory Technologist will:
1. Participate in planning laboratory experiments and projects
2. Conduct immunology and molecular biology laboratory assays and analysis of results, with the support of
3. Ensure that required reagents and supplies are in sufficient stocks and are stored appropriately
4. Find and read literature relevant to the work; participate in sharing knowledge through laboratory meetings and journal clubs
5. Prepare and review standard operating procedures
6. Assist in capacity building by demonstrating practical procedures to new staff and to students on attachments
7. Implement GCLP practices and engage in proactive problem prevention of GCLP practice
8. Enter and clean laboratory data, and prepare reports on experiments
9. Help with other laboratory procedures and projects as and when required.
Required qualifications, skills, and experience:
To be eligible, a candidate must:
• Be a Ugandan national
• Hold a minimum of a second-class bachelor’s degree in a biological sciences field from a recognised university
• Have at least one year of experience working in a laboratory technologist (or related) role in a research setting. Equivalent post-graduate internship experience will be considered
• Have experience in processing any of blood, stool, urine, DNA or RNA samples from research study participants.
Experience in conducting enzyme immunoassays (ELISA, ELISpot, Luminex), DNA/RNA extraction, polymerase chain reactions, PBMC separation from whole blood or cell counting is desirable. Candidates with some experience in flow cytometry are encouraged to apply; however, this experience is not essential.
VAnguard is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community including candidates with disabilities. The anticipated start date for the position is 1st November 2022 and the appointees will be based at UVRI, Entebbe. Further information may be obtained from the VAnguard Administrator (Raymond Muganyizi, email@example.com) or VAnguard Project Manager (Victoria Bukirwa, firstname.lastname@example.org).
How to Apply:
Candidates are requested to send in a single pdf: an application cover letter, curriculum vitae, academic documents and names, email addresses and telephone contact details of two (2) professional referees, by e-mail to: email@example.com
The deadline for receiving applications is the 23rd September 2022.