VAnguard’s goal is to understand how biological and social factors interact to impair vaccine impact in vulnerable African communities, in order to develop integrated strategies to optimise
vaccine benefits and drive health equity.
VAnguard brings together African and UK experts in vaccine research, implementation and stakeholder and community engagement, to work in Uganda and Kenya to:
1. Investigate how biological factors (such as infections, nutrition) influence vaccine responses
2. Explore how communities perceive and access vaccines, what influences them to take up vaccines for themselves and their families, and how this relates to social vulnerability, biological health status and vaccine information
3. Bring together biological and social data, and engage communities, to work out how vaccination can best be optimised for vulnerable communities, thereby also benefitting entire populations.
We shall work with national stakeholders such as Ministries of Health, and vaccine-related non governmental organisations to review literature, and work on samples from previous studies, to
identify Ugandan and Kenyan communities likely to have most difficulty in getting the best out of vaccination programmes.
Based at the UVRI, VAnguard will initiate a new multidisciplinary Group comprising the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), East African partners at the forefront of building vaccine research capacity in the region: UVRI and Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) Wellcome Trust Research
Programme. Additional contributions will be made by the Medical Research Council (MRC)/UVRI and LSHTM Uganda Research Unit (MUL), Makerere University, Uganda Christian University
(UCU), the Ugandan and Kenyan Ministries of Health (MoH) and expert collaborators.
1. Communications Officer
The Communications Officer will:
1. Coordinate all aspects of web-based and other communications and engagement activities for Vanguard in
collaboration with colleagues at partner institutions
2. Support the development and implementation of VAnguard’s communications and engagement strategy
3. Develop and regularly update communications materials and platforms for VAnguard’s internal and external audiences e.g. Newsletters, Reports, Fact sheets, Website, social media etc.
4. Generate content and coordinate activities that promote VAnguard’s visibility and identify channels of disseminating this content in line with funder branding guidelines
5. Respond to media inquiries, arrange for interviews and press statements etc.
6. Support Centre fellows to develop engagement plans for their respective research projects
7. Participate in relevant meetings, events, seminars and press conferences
8. Attend and participate in project dissemination meetings
9. Identify and promote new and existing partner platforms through which VAnguard work can be shared e.g. events, publications
10. Support staff capacity building in communication related fields e.g. public engagement, message development, photography, social media use etc.
11. Undertake any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor
Required qualifications, skills and experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communications or other relevant subject area
• At least three years of experience working in a communications role in a corporate/institutional setting
• Significant experience managing websites, web content in a corporate/institutional setting
• Significant experience managing corporate/institutional profiles and content on Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms
• Experience working in a research organization is desirable
• Experience with community engagement
• Good working knowledge of Photoshop or equivalent graphics software and application.
VAnguard is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community including candidates with disabilities. The anticipated start date for the position is 1st November 2022 and the appointees will be based at UVRI, Entebbe. Further information may be obtained from the VAnguard Administrator (Raymond Muganyizi, firstname.lastname@example.org) or VAnguard Project Manager (Victoria Bukirwa, email@example.com).
How to Apply:
Candidates are requested to send in a single pdf: an application cover letter, curriculum vitae, academic documents and names, email addresses and telephone contact details of two (2) professional referees, by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for receiving applications is the 23rd September 2022.