Position: Project Officer Livelihood Diversification-National Position
Starting date: December 2022
Duty station: Amudat Office
Reporting to: Project Coordinator
ZOA is an international NGO that is inspired by Christian identity and the biblical message of reconciliation and restoration of a broken world with its headquarters in the Netherlands. ZOA operates in fifteen countries and on three continents. At ZOA, we provide relief and recovery to people affected by conflict or natural disasters, contribute to a new perspective of hope in which people work together for a promising future in dignity and mutual trust. Together with the affected communities, we work on the recovery of their livelihoods.
In Uganda, ZOA has offices in Kampala, West Nile (Arua), Acholi (Gulu), and Karamoja (Amudat). ZOA Uganda works both in relief and recovery on the themes of food security & livelihoods, WASH, primary/accelerated/vocational education, and conflict management with a special focus on land security.
ZOA is looking for a Project Officer for its Livelihood Diversification project being implemented in Amudat.
Purpose of the position
The Project Officer – Livelihoods, with support from the Project Coordinator and Associate Project Manager, is responsible for planning, coordinating and implementing social and community mobilization activities of the project aimed at enhancing the food security and livelihoods of poor households in Amudat district/ Karamoja Programme.
The PO takes a lead in carrying out community mobilization and engagement activities of both horticulture and apiary farmers. The PO ensures active participation of cultural and local leaders in the project activities and address cultural dynamics that may hinder the progress of the project.
Project specific activities
- Implements project social and community mobilization activities in relation to the livelihoods diversification project to achieve optimal project outputs and outcomes in line with ZOA/donor procedures and targets;
- Supports bee champions and lead horticulture farmers link and transfer key knowledge and skills to farmers and households;
- Supports the formation of Producer Associations (PAs) including establishing the leadership structure, constitutions, by-laws, registration with the Community Development Office and opening of bank accounts;
- Supports the implementation of the competitive support to ensure viable and best business plan are awarded;
- Works with the Project Coordinator and Associate Project Manager to ensure PAs, groups and enterprises started through competitive support are linked to input and output markets;
- Ensures strong monitoring of the saving by groups to facilitate loan payment to formal financial institutions;
- Conducts post distribution monitoring for all input distributions to ascertain inputs given are planted or used for the purpose they are provided;
- Strengthens the culture of innovativeness among the farmer groups and PMAs.
- Provide timely and accurate written monthly reports;
- Identify, document lessons learned and best practices;
- Prepare and submit well written success stories;
- Contribute to implementation plans;
- Provide verbal and written reports to PC/APM or PGM when required
- Ensure data are collected in timely manners and entered in to the data base for easy retrieval’.
Representation and coordination
- Actively participate in the sub-county based coordination meetings and groups meetings;
- Serve as livelihood chief mobiliser and community trainer.
Human Resource Management
- Conduct weekly or monthly meeting with groups and PMAs to achieve targets;
- Provide technical support through coaching and mentorship of group leader for quality implementation of livelihood activities.
Procurement and finance
- Initiate timely purchase requisition of project goods/services;
- Ensures right items are delivered to beneficiaries as per specifications;
Knowledge & Experience:
- Degree or Diploma in a relevant field;
- At least 2 years successful experience in a similar position implementing livelihoods related projects;
- Community mobilization experience in pastoralist community settings is a plus;
- Understanding of the Amudat and Karamoja context, culture, and languages is a plus;
- Excellent spoken and written command of English.
- Good communication, writing and facilitation skills;
- Innovative, creative and enthusiastic;
- Good computer skills: Ms Excel and Ms Word;
- Self-motivator, able to work with limited supervision;
- Ability to ride a motorcycle with valid driving/riding license.
- High level of personal integrity;
- Flexibility and adaptability;
- Interpersonal and cross-cultural sensitivity;
- Able to work under pressures and meet deadlines;
- Able to work in a sometimes fluid and innovative environment;
- Commitment to ZOA’s mission, vision and values (see https://www.zoa-international.com/corporate-identity is a plus.
Salary and other terms of employment
The PO will be based at the ZOA office in Amudat. Regular field visits to the project locations in Amudat are anticipated, at least 60% of the time, which may necessitate overnight stays.
The role is 1.0 FTE (40 hrs/ week). Working hours are outlined in the ZOA Uganda Conditions of Service. Some flexibility on working hours may be required, e.g. for travel at weekends, or during reporting times.
The role is recruited at Grade 3.1 in the ZOA Uganda 2022 salary scale (starting salary is UGX 1,500,000 gross).